Welcome to Shop Handmade
What is Shop Handmade?
Shop Handmade (SH) is an exciting new concept store created to showcase the amazing talent of Australian artisans. SH is located on City Walk in Canberra’s CBD, opposite The Canberra Centre Civic (Myer corner). SH opened its doors on April 16th 2010.
SH has been established to support and compliment the highly successful Handmade Market in Canberra. SH is seeking applications from designers and artists who have a unique handmade range of products, which they make themselves or are highly involved in the design process. You will be required to submit an application form online. Acceptance into SH is judged on an individual basis by appointment only. Interstate designers are most welcome.
Our correspondance is done predominantly by email, we ask that you read these emails, all of them, so that you keep up to date with important information.
SH is beautifully merchandised. The shop is divided into assorted areas and positions designed to show case your products for sale. These include shelves, hanging space, lockable glass jewellery cabinet, wall space and shop front windows.
Designers have the opportunity to lease their position in an initial 3month contract. Included in the lease is advertising, fabulous customer service, point of sale, administration & packaging (conditions will apply for large products or products which require delivery). At the end of the initial 3 months contracts will automatically become open ended. To finalise a contract written expression is required by the 20th of the month.
This generous retail space has now expanded to include the shop next door as well, it now has a 14m glass frontage with an inviting exterior to attract the high volume of pedestrian traffic, in particular the large public servant work force in the area. SH will open its doors Monday to Saturday with knowledgeable, experienced and dedicated sales assistants to ensure SH becomes a destination shopping experience.
The price of each area or position at SH reflects the placement within the retail space. Prices start at just $30 a week. An administration fee of $25 at the commencement of your first contract is payable. Once a designer is on the SH data base, there is no need to reapply between contracts, unless your business or product changes significantly or you are away for longer then 6 months. If you wish to terminate your contract, written notification of this is required no less than 10 days before the the commencement of the next month, ie the 20th of the month prior to leaving. Notifications received later than this will not be accepted and your commitment to the shop will continue for another month. The month of January is a compulsory contracted month eg if you have a lease in December, you must also have the month of January included. SH is open for two weeks over January and you are only charged for this time.
SH now also offers providers of "Craft Enabling", CE, products to be part of SH, these would include ribbons, buttons, tapes, packaging & fabrics etc. These items do not have to be handmade but must allow people to make something from them. If they are handmade then all the better. These items can be offered in bulk, by the meter or even in kit form, it is up to you. These spaces are not for rent per month but will be charged based on a flat 30% of sales at the end of each month and does not require the any other additional % on sales. The initial $25 admin fee will still apply once accepted.
The CE products will be an essential part of our new workshop space where customers will be encouraged to purchase your items as part of our workshops. If any designer would like to run a workshop please contact us.
Unfortunately you cannot apply for a CE space if you have a finished product for sale. You must apply for one of the allocated spaces.
SH offers designers the opportunity to show their wares in a dynamic CBD retail space without the associated costs of running their own shop, opening hours, paying staff, credit card fees, rent, buying stock etc. It’s a fantastic way to gauge the marketplace and discover which products sell successfully over a reasonable time frame. It’s the perfect opportunity for a small handmade business. Your products will be in the same space as well established designers and beautiful products from fledgling businesses. Handmade is a favourite already with every newspaper and magazine in town, there will be many media opportunities, not to mention the SH blog updates & Facebook page.
Please note do not apply for a space in Shop Handmade unless you are ready with stock. We cannot hold positions once they have been offered. Offers are made after the 20th of each month for start the following month. Applications submitted after the 25th of the month may not receive an offer until the month after.
How does Shop Handmade work?
• SH is divided up into over 200 different areas and positions, including shelving, hanging racks, individual wardrobes,lockable glass shelves, wall space & shop front windows etc.
• The designer must apply for a place at SH by applying online. An appointment may also be required if we are not familiar with your product.
• Interstate designers may be required to have a phone interview.
• Interstate designers will be responsible for all postal cost of delivering of stock to SH. They will also be responsible for costs for the return of any unsold stock at the end of the lease period.
• SH recommends the lockable glass display cabinet for expensive items such as jewellery.
* Please note From the 1st of November 2011 SH will have an addition 10% sales fee on all sold items. The 10% will be transfered directly to SH at the end of month, this is not something you have to pay directly it come automatically out of your monthly sales. It is for sold items only, not items still in stock. This cost is to cover the massive staffing and running costs that have expolded due to the popularity of SH. Please price your items in accordance with this before delivery to SH. Perhaps consider adding 10% to the cost of items you offer for sale in SH. Please note This does not include CE designers already paying a % on sales.
• Each area and position is priced according to visibility & size.
• Designers nominate their area and position at time of application, subject to availability, we will also offer our advice on this if you are unsure. CE designers are placed within the gorgeous Creative Space within the shop. You do not have to nominate a space.
• Designers lease an area or position over a min 3month contracted period. Payment for the first month is due prior to the commencement of the lease and continued as one month payment, in advance, this rental payment is taken from your sales and payments are made to your nominated bank account only.
For example: a 3 month lease contract commencing on the 1st May requires 1month payment (+ $25 admin fee) by the commencement of May. June payment will be deducted from your sales with all residual monies deposited to your nominated bank account. To terminate the lease at the end of July, written notification must then be received no later than 20th July. SH will assume that a new month to month contract will commence, in the same area or position, or changed, subject to availability on 1st August. This will need to be pre-arranged by email.
• All areas & positions at SH are priced per week. Each lease contracted ‘month’ is equal to 4 weeks, regardless of whether the calendar month is 28, 29, 30 or 31 days.
For example: a $50 per week area or position at SH will cost $200 for each contracted month.
• At the start of each calendar month designers will be sent a detailed statement of products sold with the payment confirmation date and total for those products.
Payments will only be made on work days, so months ending on weekends, will be paid on the next possible workday. Payments are made by the SH accountant - not SH employees. Any enquiries in regards to sold stock is to be directed to SH.
• SH will contact designers who sell out of products, giving them the opportunity to restock their area or position as soon as possible.
• Designers are welcome to come into SH at any time to check on products and do personal shopping. SH sales assistants are highly trained, experienced and knowledgeable about each product. Please know they are there to sell your products as their priority, and will offer advice on how sales are going and customer feedback. If time permits, they’ll have a friendly chat too. Please do not call SH constantly for stock updates or drop stock off between 11.00am - 2:30pm any day.
• Designers can add to their stock during the contract period at any time. All additional items must be listed by the designer with clear descriptions and prices on an inventory. This paperwork must be handed in with the additional stock at the time of delivery. We recommend you keep a copy for your own records. Any item not listed will not be put out for sale.
• This additional stock will be added to the shop hopefully within 48 hours of delivery. Due to the administration process required for every piece we are unable to add pieces immediately to display.
• SH recommends you provide business cards and any promotional information you have regarding your products, so they can be included with each purchase of your products.
• Designers set the price of their products It is the responsibility of the designer to ensure their prices are set competitively although we are happy to discuss this with you. Please take into acocunt the 10% addition.
• All correspondence will be via email or phone. With a small management team, SH cannot individually phone or mail information to approximately 200 designers each month.
Please ensure you check email regularly and you keep your contact information up to date with SH sales assistants. You are responsible to keep SH up to date with a working email address.
• All correspondence between you, the designer and SH is strictly confidential. SH is a unique concept and not to be shared with any third parties.
• If you have any ‘one of a kind’ products in SH, please ensure they are not listed for sale anywhere else, i.e. your on line store, blog, etsy, made it. You will not be able to remove items for sale in the shop. If for some reason you require an item you will need to purchase the item so it can be released from the computer inventory. At the end of the month you will then be paid for the item. You might like to label
these items as one off originals so we can promote them as exclusive to SH.
• Please assume all areas and positions at SH are empty and have no special display installations. SH sales assistants and resident stylist will assist you in merchandising your products to make them look visually beautiful and enticing to customers. However, if you have products which must be displayed in a certain way, i.e. clothing on racks, please consider that when choosing your area or position at SH
and bring those merchandising items i.e. clothing racks, with your products at the time of delivery. Please ensure these items are clearly labelled. SH reserves the right to reject any fixtures which do not fit the style of the shop.
• The SH shelves, racks and individual wardrobes are in a high gloss white.
• Fitting rooms are available for customers at the back of the store for trying on clothing.
• If you choose a position on a glass shelf or cube, the base of the shelf cannot be completely covered as it might affect the lighting for the products on the shelf below.
• SH will supply gorgeous SH branded carry bags and packaging. If you have a particular packaging or carry bag for your product, please supply them and the SH sales assistants will be happy to accommodate that request. Please make note of this at your appointment.
* If you have an expensive item (over $100) please ensure you provide packaging for it.
• Any area or position you lease must be left the way you received it – clean, tidy, free of rubbish and please do not put up hooks or drill holes, without authorisation of the SH sales assistants.
• As an additional security measure, you may request valuable items be locked in the SH safe at the close of business each day. An additional fee may be incurred for this service. Please ask at the time of your appointment and it will be judged on a case by case basis.
Pricing of Areas and Positions at Shop Handmade
SH has many different areas and positions for designers to lease. SH recommends you think carefully about the size and volume of your products when deciding on which area or position you wish to lease. Your items can be replaced once sold with stock held in our store room, this storage option is subject to availability. You do not need to have all your stock on display at once.
Shop space and sizes may vary according to demand.
All prices listed are per week and include GST, per space.
• 35 x 35 cm cubes $30 each per week
• 100cm long shelf $50 each per week
• Small cluster table tops $40 each per week
• Glass lockable display case $60 each per week
* 100cm Hanging Space $50 per week
* Wall hanging Space $60 each per week
* Creative space 30% sales - CE items only accepted
Details on how SH will work
Once your application has been approved you may be required to attend an interview to show your products.
Lease contracts will run from the first day of the month, to the last day of the month, for a 3 month period (except where the lease ends in December as January is a compulsory month).
Each product at SH will have a barcode and price tag which will be electronically recorded during every customer transaction. All goods will be received through the store room & not put out on display until the contract commences. They are also removed on the last day of your contract. Once this happens we can keep your items for no longer than 1 month.
SH accepts cash, SH gift voucher, or EFTPOS (Visa, MasterCard).
Detailed statements on products which have been sold and your payment will be made on the first couple of business days of each month. Should this fall on a weekend it will be the first few working days of the week.
SH reserves the right whether or not a designer will be given a renewed lease contract at any time. Should you choose to not continue with a consecutive lease contract, but renew at another time, you will not have to attend another application appointment unless your product range has changed significantly. The administration fee does apply each time if you leave and then attend again. Your original area or position cannot be held or guaranteed.
If you wish to take a shop front window placement during a lease contract, you may do so for one week per month, subject to availability.
At your application appointment you must bring samples of what you intend to sell in your area or position. Please read through the information below.
Your Application for Shop Handmade Check List
• Full personal and business contact details
• ABN (if applicable)
• Banking details for your product sales so SH can pay you
• Payment for the first month’s lease contract payable before commencement of lease
• Payment for the $25 administration fee upon acceptance
• Business cards and any promotional brochures or information
Shop Handmade Gift Certificates
SH will have gift certificates available. They will have a 6 month expiry from the date of purchase. Gift certificates are available for customers to use on any designer’s products at SH, not just an individual or nominated designer. If a customer uses a gift voucher to purchase your products, you will receive payment as per your regular end of month statement and payment.
Shop Handmade Return Policy
If a customer decides to return goods for an acceptable reason & the product is in the same condition that it left the store, within the Department of Fair Trading guidelines & SH return policy – SH will refund the customer. This will be noted on your monthly statement as a refund.
If one of your products is returned to SH and it is faulty it will be held for you for collection. If a refund is given to the customer this amount will be deducted from your statement at the end of the month. If the product can be repaired and the is agreeable with the customer this will also be an option.
Shop Handmade Disclaimer
SH is an agent acting on behalf of you, the designer. All products are guaranteed by the designer to be of sound and intact quality. Any product returned to SH within 7 days of purchase will be directed back to you, the designer. Proof of receipt will be required when returning stock to SH and all records kept on file.
Designers will be paid for the sale of their products, on the last business day of the month.
Payments will be transferred directly into your nominated bank account. You will be contacted by email at any time if there are any issues with your bank accepting payment. Statements will be also sent by email at this time.
You may be offered another rental period. It is the right of SH not to offer this automatically to any designer. SH will provide you with receipts for your products if required and keep all records up to date for you.
SH will send out a regular newsletter to both designers and customers with updates about SH and Handmade Market, including promotions, competitions and special events. SH will have a regular blog featuring designers, new products, seasonal and new launches.
Adverting for SH will be included in all advertising for Handmade Market.
SH can offer storage for your special packaging and excess products. Please ask your friendly SH sales assistant about this option.
Founder & Owner, Handmade Market & Shop Handmade
0402 247 532
Founder & Owner, Shop Handmade
0402 337 917
City Walk, Canberra 2601